Skip to main content
For the BBQ pulled jackfruit
- Drain and rinse jackfruit, remove core and shred in a bowl.
- Add barbecue sauce, onion, spices, and water; stir until jackfruit is coated.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 1 hour.
- While the jackfruit is marinating, make the low protein buns.
- When ready to cook the jackfruit, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add jackfruit and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and serve on a low protein bun.
For the low protein buns
- In a bowl add water, 1 Tbsp oil, yeast, psyllium husk, and sugar. Mix well and allow to stand for 5 minutes until mixture thickens.
- Place low protein flour into a separate bowl. Stir and make a small well in the middle.
- Add psyllium husk mixture to the flour. Use your hands to combine, until a dough is formed.
- Knead dough for 3–5 minutes in the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and leave to proof for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Line a baking tray with parchment.
- Divide the dough into four equal parts; and shape each into a round bread bun.
- Place buns on the lined baking tray, brushing the tops with oil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25–30 minutes, or until browned and crisp. The bases should sound hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Info Per Serving (1 sandwich):
Calories: 430 | Protein: 2.6 gPhenylalanine: 78 mg | Leucine: 133 mg
For the BBQ pulled jackfruit:
1 can (480 g) jackfruit in brine
1 cup (180 g) low protein barbecue sauce
1/2 cup (100 g) red onion, finely chopped
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
For the Low-Protein buns:
3/4 cup (180 ml) warm water
2 Tbsp vegetable oil, divided
1 Tbsp (12 g) dried yeast
1 Tbsp (9 g) psyllium husk
1 Tbsp (12 g) sugar
2 1/4 cups (240 g) low protein flour